Boyd Family Homeschool

Homeschooling many children on different levels can be a challenge. I have heard more than once, "how do you do it all?" It's called Multilevel teaching! I hope to inspire "Moms of Many" with my thoughts, ideas, trials and errors, plus discuss books, and curriculum that work for homeschooling larger families.

Name:
Location: Alabama, United States

I am the wife of a wonderful man, and a stay-at-home homeschooling Mom to 6 bright children so far. We have an awesome time with our homeschooling, and I hope I am leading my children into a love of and lifetime of learning through good books. I am also the Editor/Publisher of a Homeschool Support Group Newsletter, and a Homeschool Co-op Teacher. I teach both preschoolers, and journalism students. My journalism students put out a monthly newspaper called The Crusader.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Using Canned Curriculum for a Large Family

I understand many of you are using ABeka or Bob Jones, and those are perfectly good curriculums...for a Christian School. While they are made available to homeschoolers, there is plenty of busy work in them and that is because they are set up for a classroom of 15-25 children.

I know a Mom of 4 who is trying to use ABeka, and another Mom of 4 who is trying to use Bob Jones. The ABeka Mom says she is tired, and the Bob Jones Mom says she and the children are stressed out. Both admit to their days being long! Why not find something that works better for your multitude?

Please don't feel that I am bashing you for using these curriculums, I just had a wealth of "Moms of Many" in my area that were extremely helpful, and I know now that they have saved me time, sanity, and money! They taught me the difference between homeschool and home school. We homeschooler with large families need to blend our classes when we can, and separate up for things like Math or spelling, where the children may be on different levels. A younger child will pick up tidbits from listening in with the older children, and then as the younger child gets older, things will begin to make more sense.

Happy Homeschooling!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home